Requirements and Procedure for Trademark Registration in Turkmenistan
Trademark registration requirements in Turkmenistan
- Power of attorney simply signed.
- Design of the trademark in JPEG format in case of a graphical trademark (not required for word mark).
- An explanation of the meaning of the trademark in Turkmen language.
- The details of goods and/or services for witch the trademark will be registered or the classes in case they are known.
- Details of the trademark owner (name, address, registration number).
- Invoicing details (name, address, fiscal number, registration number).
- Certified copy of priority document in case priority is to be claimed.
Trademark registration procedure in Turkmenistan
After completion of filing procedure the official notification of the receipt of the application is issued within 3-4 months. Then the trademark undergoes substantive examination for about 6–8 months. On condition that the trademark meets the legal requirements the grant decision is issued. After payment of the registration fee the certificate of registration is issued within 6 months. The procedure of the trademark registration takes from 15 to 18 months. The protection lasts 10 years from the filing date.
Other trademark procedures in Turkmenistan
Trademark renewal in Turkmenistan: The trademark renewal may be done within the 6 months before expiry. For the renewal we need the power of attorney simply signed. After renewal, the protection lasts 10 years.
Trademark change in Turkmenistan: For changing the name or address we need the power of attorney simply signed and the official document certifying the change of name.
Trademark assignments in Turkmenistan: For the assignment we need the power of attorney, signed by the assignee, the deed of assignment singed by both parties under seal in Russian or Turkmen. Assignments may be done with or without Goodwill. Unregistered marks may not be assigned.
Trademark use in Turkmenistan: There are cancellation actions based on non-use of a mark, but the specific period of non-use is not defined.