Requirements and Procedure for Trademark Registration in Russia
Trademark registration requirements in Russia
- Power of attorney simply signed.
- Design of the trademark in JPEG format in case of a graphical trademark (not required for word mark).
- The detaliation of goods and/or services for witch the trademark will be registered or the classes in case they are known.
- Details of the trademark owner (name, address, registration number, description of the device trademark or meaning, if any, of the word mark).
- Invoicing details (name, address, fiscal number, registration number).
- Certified copy of priority document in case priority is to be claimed.
Trademark registration procedure in Russia
After completion of filing procedure the official notification of the receipt of the Application is issued within 3-4 months. Then the trademark undergoes substantive examination for about 9–15 months. On condition that the trademark meets the requirements of protectability the grant decision is issued. After payment of the registration fee the certificate of registration is issued within 2-4 months. The procedure of the trademark registration takes from 14 to 18 months. The trademark will be published within 6 months form the date of registration and after the certificate is issued. There is no opposition provision in the law but any interested party can file a cancellation action against any registration during 5 years from the date of publication.
Other trademark procedures in Russia
Trademark renewal in Russia: The renewal may be done within the 12 months before expiry. For the renewal we need the simply signed power of attorney. After the renewal the protection of the trademark is for 10 years.
Trademark change in Russia: For the change of name or address we need the power of attorney simply signed under the new name and the official document certifying change of name.
Trademark assignments in Russia: For the assignment we need the power of attorney simply signed by both parties, the assignment document, singed by both parties under hand and the original certificate of registration. Assignments may be made with or without Goodwill. Pending applications may be assigned. Unregistered marks may not be assigned.
Trademark use in Russia: Non-use for 5 years following registration makes the registration vulnerable to cancellation.