Requirements and Procedure of Trademark Registration in Latvia
Trademark registration requirements in Latvia
- Power of attorney, simply signed and stamped, may be filed within two months from the filing date.
- Design of the trademark in JPEG format in case of a graphical trademark (not required for word mark).
- The detaliation of goods and/or services for witch the trademark will be registered or the classes in case they are known.
- Details of the trademark owner (name, address, registration number).
- Invoicing details (name, address, fiscal number, registration number).
- In case that priority is claimed, the certified copy of the priority document may be filed within three months from the filing date.
Trademark registration procedure in Latvia
After completion of filing procedure the official notification of the receipt of the Application is issued within 4-5 months. Within a period of 3 months after the official notification, in accordance with the results of the formal examination, the grant decision is issued. If the decision is positive, the applicant is invited to pay the registration and publication fees. Then the trademark is registered in the State Register of Trademarks, published in the official bulletin and the registration certificate is issued. Within 3 months from the date of publication of the trademark any person may file an opposition against the registration of a trademark. The procedure of the trademark registration takes from 10 to 12 months.
Other trademark procedures in Latvia
Trademark renewal in Latvia: The trademark renewal may be done within 12 months before expiry. For the trademark renewal we need the power of attorney simply signed and stamped. After trademark renewal the protection lasts 10 years.
Trademark changes in Latvia: For changing the name or the address we need the power of attorney simply signed and stamped and the official documents certifying change of name and address.
Trademark assignment and trademark license in Latvia: For the trademark assignment we need the power of attorney notarized and legalized up to the Chilean Consulate and a trademark assignment deed notarized and legalized up to the Chilean Consulate.
Trademark use in Latvia: When a registered mark has not been used for the good concerned for consecutive 5 years.