Requirements and Procedure for Trademark Registration in Georgia
Trademark registration requirements in Georgia
- Power of attorney, simply signed.
- Design of the trademark in JPEG format in case of a graphical trademark (not required for word mark).
- The detaliation of goods and/or services for witch the trademark will be registered or the classes in case they are known.
- Details of the trademark owner (name, address, registration number).
- Invoicing details (name, address, fiscal number, registration number).
- Information related to the previously filed trademarks, in order to benefit of the priority date, if it is the case. In case that priority is claimed, the certified copy of the priority document will be filed simultaneously with the application.
Trademark registration procedure in Georgia
After completion of filing procedure the official notification of the receipt of the Application is issued within 3-4 months, then the trademark undergoes substantive examination about 8 – 10 months. On condition that the trademark meets the requirements of protectability the grant decision is issued and the trademark is published in the Official Bulletin. The decision of the trademark registration can be opposed by the third parties within 3 months from the date of publication, after the three months term, in absence of opposition, the notification to pay the registration fee is issued. The registration procedure lasts from 16 to 24 months. The protection lasts 10 years from the filing date.
Other trademark procedures in Georgia
Trademark renewal in Georgia: The trademark renewal may be done within 6 before expiry. For the trademark renewal we need the power of attorney simply signed. After renewed trademark the protection lasts 10 years.
Trademark changes in Georgia: For changing the name or the address we need the official document certifying the change.
Trademark assignment in Georgia: For the trademark assignment we need the power of attorney simply signed and an trademark assignment deed signed by both parties. Trademark assignment may be done with or without Goodwill. Pending application may be assigned, unregistered marks may not be assigned.
Trademark use in Georgia: When a registered mark has not been continuously used for the goods or services concerned for 5 years from the date of registration, a cancellation action may be filed by an interested person.